COLUMBIA, Mo. – Freshman Mia Frogner provided SIUE's lone point Monday in a 6-1 loss to nationally-ranked Missouri at the Green Tennis Center.
Missouri, ranked 63rd nationally in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's Division I women's ranking, ran its record to 2-0 with a 6-1 victory over the Cougars. It was SIUE's first dual meet of the 2014 season.
"Missouri certainly showed why they're a nationally-ranked team in the polls this season," said SIUE Head Coach Jason Coomer. "I thought our girls pushed them and brought the best out of them. When you play a nationally-ranked program and put up the kind of scores we did, there's reason for optimism."
Frogner took the first set over Missouri's Rachel Stuhlmann at No. 4 singles 6-5. She nearly swept the match before Stuhlmann edged her 8-6 in the tiebreaker. Frogner, however, stormed back to win 10-8 in a thrilling third set.
"Mia deserved to win tonight," said Coomer. "She was in control of the match the majority of the time. She was able to overcome some adversity in the second set and find a way to win in the third set tiebreaker."
Coomer said Frogner needs a boost of confidence.
"Mia has to understand that she's capable of playing at this level each time she steps on the court, and we're looking forward to helping her do that as a staff," Coomer said.
SIUE had a number of close matches, including Haley Ilcewicz's three-set loss to Cassidy Spearman at No. 5 singles. Spearman took the first set 4-6, but Ilcewicz topped her 6-3 in the second set. Spearman nipped Ilcewicz in a tight third set 10-8.
Sierra Halverson pushed Tracy Dong at No. 6 singles. Dong picked up a 7-5, 7-5 win.
Madison Rhyner also defeated Kali Donner in a close 6-4, 6-3 match.
"Kali, Haley, and Sierra all played excellent matches and gave themselves an opportunity to win," said Coomer.
SIUE continues its road swing with a pair of matches later this week in Dayton, Ohio.
"We'll get back to campus and give our bodies time to recover, and then once we return to the court on Wednesday all of our focus has to be on Dayton and Wright State," said Coomer.
Missouri 6, SIUE 1
1. Cierra Gaytan-Leach (MU) def. Monique Krutak (SIUE) 6-2, 6-2
2. Kelli Hine (MU) def. Lexi Aranda (SIUE) 6-2, 6-3
3. Madison Rhyner (MU) def. Kali Donner (SIUE) 6-4, 6-3
4. Mia Frogner (SIUE) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (MU) 6-4, 6-7 (6-8), 10-8
5. Cassidy Spearman (MU) def. Haley Ilcewicz (SIUE) 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
6. Tracy Dong (MU) def. Sierra Halverson (SIUE) 7-5, 7-5
1. Cierra Gaytan-Leach / Cassidy Spearman (MU) def. Lexi Aranda/Sierra Halverson (SIUE) 6-2
2. Madison Rhyner / Rachel Stuhlmann (MU) vs. Mia Frogner / Monique Krutak (SIUE) 5-5 (unfinished)
3. Kelli Hine / Tracy Dong (MU) def. Kali Donner / Haley Ilcewicz (SIUE) 6-3