One of the most acclaimed throwers in school history, Scott Block joined the program as an assistant coach in the fall of 2009 and was elevated to head coach in July 2015.
During Block's first 3 season at the helm of the program, his student-athletes went on to break 23 school records.
During the 2015-2016 school year under Block's leadership, the teams performed in the classroom with one of the highest team GPAs the program has ever seen (Men XC-3.538, Women XC-3.582, Men TF- 3.32, and Women TF-3.397).
During the 2016-17 school year the teams continued to impress in the class room the some of the best GPAs in program history (Men XC-3.752, Women XC-3.655, Men TF-3.402, and Women TF-3.455).
During the 2017-18 school year the teams GPA sustained that success and attained Team GPAs of (men XC-3.415, Women XC-3.621, Men TF-3.291, Women TF-3.453
Block has coached eight Student-Athletes to twelve OVC Individual Championships:
· Colleen McDonough in the shot put (Indoor 2013)
· Greg Block in the weight throw Indoor 2013)
· Greg Block in the hammer throw (Outdoor 2015)
· Elizabeth Hampl in the hammer throw (Outdoor 2014)
· Elizabeth Hampl in the hammer throw (Outdoor 2015)
· Megan Lauzon in the discus (Outdoor 2016)
· Nick Matthews in the weight throw (Indoor 2017)
· Nick Matthews in the hammer throw (Outdoor 2018)
· Martinus Mitchell in the discus (Outdoor 2017)
· Martinus Mitchell in the shot put (Outdoor 2018)
· John Barnes in the Weight throw (Indoor 2018)
· Lizzie Virgl in the hammer throw (outdoor 2018)
In the past five seasons, Block has sent six athletes to compete in the first round of the NCAA Championship in ten events:
· Elizabeth Hampl in the hammer throw (2013, 2014, 2015)
· Colleen McDonough in the hammer throw (2013)
· Greg Block in the hammer throw (2016)
· Claire Nolan in the shot put (2016, 2017)
· Nick Matthews in the hammer throw (2018)
· Martinus Mitchell in the shot put and Discus (2018)
He has been instrumental in the development of several SIUE throwers including Ben Bishop who qualified in the weight throw for the 2011 U.S. Indoor Championships with a throw of (72-1). Ben Bishop then set a new school record in the hammer throw with a mark of (221-4).
As a student-athlete for the Cougars, Block still holds several SIUE and Great Lakes Valley Conference throwing records. His final record was the discus with a throw of 184 feet, 4 inches at the GLVC Championships in 2008. He capped his outdoor career with a fourth-place finish at the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track and Field Championships as well as a fifth-place finish in the hammer throw at 190-7. The GLVC's Men's Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Year, Block earned first team All-Conference honors and was twice named the Athlete of the Week. His accolades include four All-American certificates in three different events. He earned honors during the 2008 indoor season for the shot put and the 2007 outdoor season in the discus. Block doubled up on his honors at the 2008 outdoor national championships in the discus and hammer throw.
Block was a former junior college national champion in the shot put and the Discus while at the College of DuPage and also won the 2003 Illinois High School Association state title in the shot put while at Lake Park High School.
He earned a bachelor's degree in kinesiology from SIUE in 2009 and a master's degree in kinesiology in 2011.
Scott and his wife Maggie reside in Maryville.