EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. – SIUE men's and women's track and field will hold the Derek Drew Mile event April 16 to help their teammate's battle with leukemia.
The event will be held at 12 p.m. at Ralph Korte Stadium the day of the SIUE Gateway Classic. Drew was recently diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) less than one week after competing in the Ohio Valley Conference Championships and placing third in the 400 meters.
Drew has begun his treatment and was already cleared by doctors to compete in the 2016 outdoor season. All funds secured from this event will go towards assisting Drew with future treatments.
The event will be a fun run/walk. A minimum of $10 per participant is required to enter, but donations larger are encouraged as well.
"Derek is part of the Cougar family and this event will support him in overcoming his next hurdle in life," said Assistant Athletic Director for Sales and Marketing Mason Glick. "We encourage all friends and family of SIUE to help Derek in his fight against cancer."
Drew is a senior sprinter and hurdler from Oswego, Illinois. He was voted by his teammates as the team captain for the 2015-16 season. His accolades include:
- OVC Champion in the 4x400 meter relay at the 2014 Outdoor Championships
- Third place in the 4x100 meter relay at the 2014 Outdoor Championships
- Second place in the 4x400 meter relay at the 2015 Outdoor Championships
- Third place in the 4x100 meter relay at the 2015 Outdoor Championships
- Third place in the 400 meter hurdles at the 2015 Outdoor Championships
- Third place in the 400 meters at the 2016 Indoor Championships
For more information or to sign up, contact Jumps Coach Joey Pacione at firstname.lastname@example.org.