Posted: Apr 15, 2019
SIUE Cougars (12-21) vs.
Western Illinois Leathernecks (14-19)
Tue., April 16, 6 p.m.
Roy E. Lee Field / Simmons Baseball Complex
SIUE LHP Ryan Byrd (1-1) vs. WIU RHP Chandler Fochs (1-1)
- SIUE is coming off a weekend sweep of UT Martin. It was the Cougars' first Ohio Valley Conference sweep since May 2017 at Austin Peay.
- The Cougars hit a combined .327 in the series sweep. SIUE is fifth in the OVC in batting average at .265
- Peyton Cordova-Smith leads SIUE in hitting at .323 overall. The senior first basemen hit .500 (5-10) with two RBIs and three runs scored against UT Martin
- Catcher Brock Weimer hit two home runs in the series at Morehead State. He has 30 for his career, which is tied with SIUE Hall of Famer Tony Duenas for second all-time. Duenas held the record from 1987-2014. Devin Caldwell holds the record now at 33.
- Dustin Woodcock collected four hits against UT Martin. He has 211 hits for his career, which ranks 17th all-time at SIUE. Woodcock is 13th on the career doubles list with 45.
- SIUE allowed seven runs in the three-game series against UT Martin for a team earned run average of 2.33 for the weekend.
- Cougar pitchers combined to strike out 41 hitters, while walking just six in the series.
- SIUE starters David Llorens (11.83) and Collin Baumgartner (10.88) are second and fourth, respectively in strikeouts per nine innings in the OVC.
- Reliever Braydon Bone has four saves, which is tied for fifth in the OVC. Cole Milam has three saves which puts him ninth in the league.
- The Cougars and Leathernecks will meet for the 33rd time Tuesday. The all-time series is tied 16-16. SIUE has a record of 7-8 in home games in the series. WIU has won the last three meetings and four of the last five.
- Western Illinois also is coming off a weekend sweep. The Leathernecks took a three-game series from Purdue-Fort Wayne. Western Illinois has won six of their last seven games.
- The Leathernecks are fourth in the Summit League with a .241 batting average. Their pitching staff has a combined 5.69 ERA, which is fifth in the league.
- WIU's Drue Galassi leads the way at the plate with a .288 batting average. He is second in the Summit with seven home runs and leads the league with 32 RBIs.