The mission and values of the Athletics Department is in alignment and complements the mission of the University with a focus on excellence, opportunity, compliance and increasing and enhancing the University's visibility and image.
The mission of the SIUE Intercollegiate Athletics program is to provide students with opportunities to enhance their education, to represent the University, and to participate in competitive sports while developing skills and understanding. This mission is fulfilled through meeting the following objectives:
1. Emphasize the student athlete concept and support the academic achievement of all participants;
2. Engage in all sporting activities in compliance with NCAA, Conference and University regulations and procedures;
3. Provide equal opportunities for both male and female athletes;
4. Enhance the University's visibility and name recognition through a comprehensive program of successful competitive athletics;
5. Provide spectator events that contribute to campus life, build community spirit and generate regional competition and rivalry.
- Higher Education - No goal of ours exceeds the mandate to educate and graduate the student-athlete.
- Dedication to the educational purpose of the University.
- Rules and Regulations - We are dedicated to enforcing adherence to the rules and regulations of the NCAA and the Conference by our student-athletes, coaches and administrators.
- Pursuit of Excellence - Intercollegiate Athletics, with its emphasis on excellence at all levels of play, provides opportunities for undergraduate/graduate students to understand the rewards that come from dedication to a larger purpose and to develop their personal, physical and intellectual skills.
- Citizenship - We believe that the values of citizenship are realized through sportsmanship and ethical play in athletics. We are committed to teaching our student-athletes essential skills that will provide for a lifetime of contributions to their community, state and nation.
- Amateur Sportsmanship - Participation in amateur sports provides the student-athlete with opportunities to experience and develop life skills in the areas of leadership, discipline, teamwork, goal-setting, self-respect and respect for others.
- Student-athlete welfare - Managing Intercollegiate Athletics in a manner designed to protect and enhance the physical, emotional, and social welfare of the student-athlete is a primary objective of the department.